Thursday, July 28, 2011

Upcycled Grocery Bags

My mom showed up to the beach this week with this great new beach bag that she received as a gift.  My favorite part this bag?  It's made from recycled grocery bags!  How cool is that!  With a house full of craft people, our research began.  How does one make the plastic bags useable for crocheting or knitting...

I'm sure my Ravelry folks are old hacks at this, but that yarn created is called plarn (creative I know plastic yarn = plarn).  I was curious how you could create plarn.  It turns out after some quick Google searches that it is super simple. 

I found a great tutorial at MyRecycledBags.com. The basic concept is your flatly fold your bags lengthwise and then cut your strips approximately 1 inch wide.  To make it continuous yarn you loop them together as it your looping two hair ties together.  I'm sure my quick description here doesn't quite do it justice, so please follow the link for a pictorial description.

Now I just need to learn to crochet and find some great plarn patterns.  Off to Google...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...