Thursday, March 7, 2013

Thank you Snowquester

I'm so excited to announce that I finally finished the blanket for my son, that was supposed to be a Christmas present, then a birthday present, but really turned out to be a just because I love to you present. 

I was finally able to finish it because of the Snowquester "storm" that rolled through the area yesterday.  Now I understand that people west of the the DC area did get some significant snow fall.  Me however, NONE, ZILCH, NADA, NOTHING!!!!  I realize I am probably partially to blame.  In anticipation for potentially 6 - 9 inches of heavy snowfall, I dug through our hand me down pile to find a snow suit that fit and a paid of snow boots that way to big but can work in a pinch.  And I got this stuff out on Monday...Wednesday comes, yup, no snow, but it didn't stop the world from shutting down so mommy gets to stay home with the kiddos for the day.  Which meant I took full advantage and finished that blanket!  I hope you enjoy the pictures, though I took them on my phone so they aren't the best quality.
I haven't washed it yet, because how do you explain to a 3 year old that the blanket isn't done until it's washed when it looks useable right now.  I'm ok with that, it will cutiefity (yes that's my own word!) as he uses it.  I imagine it will be wash regularly as he came downstairs this morning blanket in hand dragging on the floor behind, in his Lightning McQueen PJs and snow boots (yes he found them and will wear nothing else now).  The blanket had to go to school with him and won't leave his side; a true Linus moment and I couldn't be more proud. 

Now that I've completed one, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but yes, I would completely do one again.  Now that I have a system down I can see myself doing it.  And yes, I would do one to sell as well, but after calculating my time and material cost it isn't a cheap blanket.  I did a brief comparison on Etsy and my price is well within the norm of what I found there.  So bring on the custom orders, and I promise it won't take me 5 months to complete yours!  But it is definitely not an overnight job. 

Up next will be my plarn bag for a friend and then maybe I'll start working on one for my younger son since I'm not exactly happy how his hand knit blanket turned out (it's too small for my liking.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...