Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Talk to Me Tuesdays! - Diane Costanza

I hope everyone had a fabulous Labor Day weekend in the U.S.  I thoroughly enjoyed my extra day off work and had lots of family time.  Stop by tomorrow for more details on what I did over the long weekend.  in the mean time, let's check out my latest interview with Diane Costanza.  She does some fabulous
paintings, even on bags that is quite impressive.

Stitch Silly: Tell me a little about yourself.

Diane Costanza: I consider myself a figurative artist because I find myself attracted to the human figure and all its variations. Every face is different, how could I ever get bored? My artwork runs the gamut from Custom Pastel Portraits and Colored Pencil Fantasy Illustration to Hand Painted Handbags and Shoes. I never know what I will be creating next. I just wait patiently for my muse to show me the way.  

SS: How did you get started with Etsy?  

DC: I sold my work on Ebay for several years. At that time my focus was on watercolor aceos and mixed media work. Some time in 2009 I discovered Etsy and signed up to open a shop that very same day. Within 24 hours I had my first sale. I loved the great sense of community that Etsy had to offer that I dropped selling on Ebay to concentrate all my energy on building a Handmade Etsy shop. It was the first time I began to believe that I could actually make a living with my art.

SS: What is your favorite part of being your own boss?

DC: The knowledge that, win or lose, it is all up to me. I create exactly what I want, when I want.

SS: What are your 2 favorite products in your shop?

DC: My hand painted handbags! I carry one myself and enjoy the positive comments I get from complete strangers. It encourages me to continue to move forward and build my brand. I also enjoy creating my fantasy illustrations. I love to create bold and colorful drawings that have a bohemian edge to them.

SS: What is your greatest success since joining Etsy?

DC: I think allowing myself to develop my own individual style. I struggled with this at first, trying to fit my work into what was currently hot on Etsy. Eventually, I came to realize that I might as well keep my day job if that was what my shop was going to be about. Once I made the decision to just be myself and ignore the trends that were selling, I was much happier with the direction my shop was taking. Success to me now means loving what I do.  

SS: What do you most want to improve?

DC: My photos, descriptions and tags need a lot of work, but truthfully, it is the art itself that I am constantly striving to improve and to grow as an artist.  

SS: What is your ultimate goal for your Etsy shop?

DC: That’s easy… quite my day job! I want to ultimately build my business up to a point where I can make my living solely through my art.

SS: How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

DC: I think it is sooo funny that you asked that, because my son just did his science fair project on that subject this past spring! I enjoyed being one of his test subjects, LOL!
The answer: The world will never really know! No two people or lollipops are the same. Way too many variables, sort of like how no two handmade items can ever be exactly the same!
 
Interested in seeing more from Diane.  Check her out on the following sites:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/DianeCostanzaStudio1
Website: www.dianecostanza.com
Blog: dianecostanza.blogspot.com
Etsy Handmade: www.etsy.com/shop/dianecostanza
Etsy Vintage: www.etsy.com/shop/costanzavintagecraft

Are you interested in being featured on Stitch Silly?  If so, please contact us.  We will be happy to conduct an interview with you.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...